March 2019 AMA have won an award
AMA are very proud to announce that the Best Conservation, Alteration and Extension of an Existing Building award for 2018 was granted to the recently completed Founders Entrance Hall Lantern. AMA were presented with the Award at the CFCI awards ceremony held at St. Catharine’s College, Cambridge on the 26th March 2019. The extent of refurbishment works completed are précised below:
- Re-copper existing vertical faces and flat roof element of the Lantern.
- Renewal of existing copper painted tin gutter and copper rain water pipes.
- Renewal of lead flashing to flat roof portion of the Lantern between glazed section and copper cladding.
- Redecoration and localised repair to existing fixed and opening soft wood timber casements, reseating of glazing compound and original acid etched glass panes and general refurbishment of copper glazing bars.
- Re-installation of lightning protection.
- Redecoration of the existing cold forged steel glazing bars to the Lantern with repairs to glazing compound and repair/replacement of damaged/discoloured curved glass panes as necessary.
- Installation of passive ventilation measures to mitigate internal overheating
- Conservation repairs to decorative plasterwork within the Founders Entrance Hall and carry out remedial works to damaged balustrading/handrail to balcony.
- Installation of discreet LED light fittings (static and axial) within Founders Entrance Hall.
- Repair / renovation of 6no stained glass fan lights to Founders Entrance Hall.
- Localised indent stone repairs, structural timber repairs and other associated works.
Completion of the important work on the historic dome at the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge in collaboration with a specialist restoration team including Brown and Ralph, Tobit Curteis Associaties, Andrew Firebrace Partnership and Henry Riley LLP. The maintenance and preservation of its historic fabric has been of national importance. As a Grade I-listed building, it has been a priority to ensure it will remain sustainable for years to come.
Completion of the careful restoration of Gresham House into a botanical spa, Gresham House Wellness, at the Gonville Hotel, Cambridge. Gresham House is a 180-year-old Victorian Villa, which sits within Central Cambridge Conservation Area. As a building of ‘special architectural or historic interest’, we worked alongside other restoration experts to ensure it retains its period charm.